Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Cooking Synonyms!!!


Hi again!!! 
I love to make my lessons hands on and super fun so when I saw I had to teach my children about synonyms I went over to one of my all time favorite bloggers The First Grade Parade ! She is fabulous and it so happens that she JUST taught synonyms!!!! Of course I follow her on instagram (I am obsessed with instagram simply because I follow +100 awesome teachers!) THANK YOU INSTAGRAM ! Anyways, she posted a cute activity called "Synonyms Rolls", I know! Extremely cute! You can check her post here. I am going to tell you how my day went. 
If you are cooking you MUST have a chef hat! I have no assistant so I had to make 20 little chef hats for my little ones (I am a PRO at making hats now!) It is super easy btw! My kids knew we were going to be having something special today and they knew I was up to something, as soon as the walked in the classroom they gave me a big smile and said "we are cooking today?!?!?!" I had all the hats on my reading table ... they could not focus, they were staring at the little hats giving me the look of "Ms. Parra, can we pleeeeaaasseeee wear them now??" So as we were doing our reading block I started passing out the Chef hats to those who were on task and those who were reading...it literally worked like magic. My chef hats might have some superpowers because they started reading more and they were PERFECT. 


 






After we finished our story we started talking about synonyms. I had previously chosen five words that I knew they could find synonyms for. Each child needed to pick one so before they picked I modeled to them how to find out synonyms for my word! I chose BIG, they all helped me and we came up with Tall, High, Bigger, Gigantic, Humongous and "super big". I repeated myself once more and then they started working! They were so so so sooooo excited! 



Coming up with his synonyms! 
 After they came up with at least 4 or 5 synonyms I gave them their very own "Synonym Roll" they were so happy they were finally cooking...even though it was only a paper! They started writing down their list of synonyms in their rolls. 


 After they "finished" cooking their synonym rolls I gave them their very own rolls so they could enjoy the whole activity! 






We had a BLAST cooking our synonyms and I think we set the bar way too high now!!! My children still wear their hats when they read or work on centers, they are pros at synonyms and they are still talking about how much they loved cooking synonyms rolls! I loved loved loved this activity! Any questions ? Don't forget to ask! 




2 comments:

  1. Hey Zayda! I really love your blog and your posts! The kiddos are so adorable and the synonym activity was awesome! I am nominating you for the Liebster Award, the details are at my blog http://mybrightbunch.blogspot.com/ .
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! thank you! I am so glad you liked the blog!!!

      Delete